Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield retrial
Hillsborough match commander David Duckenfield is to face a retrial over the deaths of 95 football fans.
In April, a jury failed to reach a verdict on the former chief superintendent, who had denied gross negligence manslaughter.
Lawyers acting for Mr Duckenfield, 74, of Ferndown, Dorset, opposed an application for a retrial over the 1989 stadium disaster.
The trial is due to start on 7 October at Preston Crown Court.
John Traynor – the brother of Christopher and Kevin Traynor who both died in the tragedy – said he was “delighted” at the ruling.
“It’s what we’ve been waiting for. Now we can plan our lives again now we know it’s the 7 October.”
Ninety-six Liverpool fans died in the crush on the Leppings Lane terrace of Sheffield Wednesday’s ground at the FA Cup semi-final on 15 April.
The 96th victim, Tony Bland, died more than a year and a day after the disaster, and cannot be included in the prosecution.
Irene McGlone, whose husband Alan died in the crush, said she was both relieved and “over the moon” at the news.
“I didn’t sleep at all last night. I didn’t think we’d get that result,” she said.
His daughter Amy McGlone, who was five years old at the time of the disaster, said she believed it was the right decision “for not just the families, but for the public as well”.
She said it had been “extremely stressful” because all these years on “we haven’t even [been] able to have any closure”.
“Our lives are still on hold. And not only do we suffer as a family, but survivors are still suffering,” she said.
About 10 family members were in court as Judge Sir Peter Openshaw made the ruling, which followed a hearing on Monday.
Steve Kelly, who lost his brother Michael at Hillsborough, said outside court he initially did not want a retrial but changed his mind after careful thought.
“At the end of the last trial when there was a hung jury, I felt so battered and bruised, I didn’t want another trial to go ahead,” he said.
“But over the last few weeks I’ve regrouped… and felt that we’re going ahead with the new trial and I’ll fully support that.”
In May, the former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell was fined £6,500 for a health and safety offence.
He was found guilty of not providing enough turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end.